Friday, November 19, 2010

Drizzle .......

The black screen turned darker as I switched off the monitor out of fury at the 7th Abend (abnormal End) I got.

“A break…!” came to my mind, just the way it comes every 15 minutes.

But this time it was intense enough to move myself out of the grieving chair. It has been almost an hour that I stuck to it, which is quite unusual. I decided to get up before the chair raises any more cries of mercy.

Out of chair and once I swiped out of the doorway, immense freedom is what I experienced, freedom from the Abend’s that eat away half the day and yet never get resolved, from the black and green screen that sometimes turn blue confusing if its blue by choice or by chance, from the 100% full mailbox that keeps insisting to delete old mails, from the AC that start working at the exact time I never want it to work, off at rest of the times and from the untimely calls that makes the extension go ringing in the scariest possible tones, just when I get the best of the naps of a day. I finally felt I was in control of my life instead of the 17’’ screeen that smiles at my state every morning as I seat myself before it and every evening I eagerly wait to leave early, and I never could.

And to my surprise there were clouds all over the sky as I excitedly watched out of the window. Looking at the scary monitor all day I never know what the weather outside feels like. It’s only at the lunch time or at a tea break that nature shows its true state. Lest otherwise, be it a sunny afternoon or warm evening, it’s all the same at that one corner of the square, they call it cubicle I never knew why, where I sit.

Will it rain! Oh it should. The 45 degree heat is making throat go dry almost every 5 minutes. earth has already gone dry due to the 2 months long summer. It should rain.

And it started with countable drops at first turning itself to a heavy downpour for a few minutes. In no time it started to drizzle. A Hot tea accompanied by onion-pakoda is the best cuisine one can have at such a pleasant climate as this. And we were on our way to the cafeteria!

Hot tea was available but not the pakoda. So be it and we satisfied with whatever we got. It was not even an hour we had our lunch so there wasn’t any space left out for anything new anyway.

The cafeteria is building of 2 floors standing on a ground floor which has dormitory, stationary room, a clinic and a child care center. The steps from the first floor to the ground and aligned straight and go to a count of 50 around. Climbing down the stairs one would get feel of walking down a royal way. Kingly, (Queenly for girls …… no partiality).

We found a place to seat on the side wall of the staircase and started sipping the tea. It was still showering and I felt like waking in the rain. However the decency of the job reminded me of my age and I let go the idea. Soon the tea got finished and I searched around for a dustbin. Unable to find one I looked hither and thither and finding the place secure enough with no eye observing us, I dropped the paper cup by the wall.

As the showering turned to a downpour we found shelter at the same spot and waited standing at some 25th step of the staircase. There were couple of plants aligned all along the staircase and have grown sufficient enough to be called tree’s. Looking at the branch of one such tree I remembered my childhood and I quickly jumped to pull one of the nearest branches just to get the droplets, the leaves held, pour like a mini rain as we stood below it. My friend escaped my attempt to drench him, however I enjoyed the shower. I turned around to see his reaction, as he started to shout at me but …….

My world went numb for a few seconds …. There she was, peeping out of the window, smiling at my act…

Oh what a smile she had! So serine! So blissful! An angle she looked. I would do anything to prevent that smile from fading!

She hid herself by the wall I as looked straight to her eyes. I acted as if I wasn’t observing , seeing that she started peeping back again.

I jumped and caught another branch and there was a shower again. This time it was a little longer than before and I looked back just to find her burst into a laugh as she couldn’t stop herself with a smile.And I couldn’t turn myself away from that face!

Oh! What a smile. So divine, so innocent.

But the rain stopped. And my friend reminded me of the abend waiting to be resolved. With a heavy heart I turned back and moved to the office.

Once at the cubicle I turned the screen white and tried to fix the issue. As expected it abended and I hit the Enter harder, switched off the monitor and closed my eyes ……

The smile of the cute little 4 year old girl at the window of the Child Care Center below the cafeteria flashed on the walls of the eyelid, soothing my anguish.

Oh! What a smile. So pure! So natural!

No comments:

Post a Comment