Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Ten !

             The morning sun was getting brighter and the climate was getting hotter as the bus set off after a long wait. Running late on Monday morning I was in no mood to wait for another bus, though the one am sitting in was fully loaded with almost no gap even for the wind to pass by. Had I not jumped into the bus when it was about to reach the start point I would not have made it to that seat immediately next to the reserved seats for ladies. It was a 2 seater and I left the window coz of the sunrays that were directly hitting the head. The 10 o’clock sun shone at its best and, 1 minute at such a spot and you will have the baking effect.
A boy found his way to the seat immediately after me and was about to jump into the seat by the window. As it was a seat painted in green I took the chance to seat myself into it without paying much attention to the paint above the window indicating ladies reservation. Generally it’s the yellow painted ones are reserved for them. The boy was careful enough and he pointed to the paint as he paused in his attempt to occupy the seat.
“The seat is in green !” , I said ,”we can argue if someone insists us to get up”, I explained as he looked confused unable to decide on whether to sit or not to. Further he had no choice either but for sitting on that one empty place in the whole bus.  He adjusted himself.
The bus took pace and I started to search some pretty face in the front to sooth the eyes. Unable to find any that could capture my attention; I turned to the streets and wondered if I would ever make it to the office with that speed the bus was being driven.
“Ticket’s!”, commanded the conductor as he snapped his fingers.
‘Gachibowli….” Said I as I gave the Rs.12 that’s needed for the ticket.  
‘Here … !” he whispered as he handed over the ticket.
At that very moment a lady found the vacant seat in the one before us and got herself into that place.
“Ticket’s!”,the conductor snapped again pointing to the women.
“Gachibowli…. “ the lady requested as she gave the Rs.20 that was with her.
The conductor took the 20 and slipped it into the bag he carried, and got the ticket punched. The lady gave a Rs.2 coin so as to get  Rs.10 back from the conductor. The man took out a 10 and held it in his hand as he saw her searching for the coin in her bag, obviously he was expecting the 2 so that he don’t have to give Rs 8 in return. The man took the 2 from the lady, handed the ticket but did not give the 10, and moved ahead to the next seat.
“I gave a 20 !” the lady shouted as she was bewildered  at the act of the conductor.
“no you dint !”, the man replied showing the 10+2 which he still held In his hand.
“No, I gave 20 , you dint return the 10 !” the lady explained.
He got furious and took out all the money he had in his bag and showed there was no 20.
“She took out 20, am not sure if she gave you!”  the man standing next to her informed as the conductor put up a question mark face looking at him expecting him to clarify.
“She gave 20 !” I could not wait anymore to help the lady get back her 10, and being a spectator of the thing that was happening.
“Ohh ! is it.. !” the fellow gave a sarcastic statement , “  if there are soo many witnesses of the 20 she never gave, what’s there for me to say” , he concluded as he gave the 10 to her.
Evidently, he was not worried of the 10 he lost , but what mattered most was the defame he faced. Now was the trouble time for me. I giggled as he turned his back on to us, looking at the situation he was in. A blunder from my end as he heard me even after my being at most careful.
He might have let gone the issue had he not heard me smiling at his back. Now he was furious. He looked at me with an urge to hit me hard, I could feel it in his gaze. My being next to the ladies seat saved me……… I guessed.
At the next stop a group of women with their children boarded from the front, and reached directly to the place I was sitting in. one of the ladies pointed at the painting above the window. I knew she was expecting me and the fellow next to me to get up and get lost as it was ladies seat.
I pointed at the seat indicating it was green and not yellow.
She got my intension and again asked me to look up.
“Bloody hell !” I thought, and was about to make a move but the fellow next to me insisted to stay, so I paused.
The kids, they almost started seating themselves on the seat. The lady gave a look at the children and then to me. Blackmail , I felt for a while, but had no choice but to get up looking at the little menace’s that were making hell lot of noise.
There came the conductor again. Quite happy to see the situation I was in. gave a sarcastic smile. Gave the tickets to the ladies & giggled as he left the spot I was standing in.  I could see the joy in his face. He was the happiest being on earth at that moment.
I couldn’t help but smile as he left. I was angry at the kids but felt pity for the conductor. At one point I was so furious , I thought of giving the Re.10, which he lost , out of my pocket . But then , Rs.10 is quite a big amount and I gave up the idea.
The bus picked up speed but the traffic on the road made it run late by almost a half hour.  I was too late to the office already and could not afford to waste any more time. So I jumped out of the running bus at the IIIT stop where I could find the shuttle directly to office. The bus stopped however since few girls were to get down at the very spot.
              There he was !... the conductor standing at the back door of the bus, looking at me, with an expression I would never forget. He came all the way from the front just to catch me get down, and why will he not……………
           I owed him the Rs.10 he lost in battle with the lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment